Thursday 5 February 2009

Pointless Prattle: 25 Things

I generally don’t fill in these things, but the specifications for this one were vague enough that I didn’t resent the idea of it. The rules are that you’re supposed to write down 25 random facts about yourself. There’s something else about tagging 25 people that you want to know 25 things about, sending it around the internet and receiving £1,000,000 if you cross your fingers and chant “I do believe in Facebook, I do, I do” But I’m not playing those games, largely because I don’t think there are another 25 people that I will be interested enough in to actually read through the drivel they will inevitably write.

And on that note, here is my drivel.

----

I am directionally dyslexic frequently muddling my lefts, rights, easts and wests.

The exam that I stressed about the most and was the most frightened of failing was my driving test.

Driving is the one thing that makes me swear profusely.

It took me 10 years to read Lord of the Rings from between the ages of 8 and 18. The only reason I got around to finishing it was because I was desperate to stay at least one book ahead of the films.

I modified the rules of Dungeons and Dragons and used to play it with my friends in the playground when I was about 10 using 3 spherical dice.

I won the Optimist Regatta Fleet National Championship at the age of 10. That was probably the peak of my success in sailing. I am now a fully qualified sailing instructor.

I have self published 3 issues of a comic called Matt3 that I created after trying to fix Matt’s computer and being bowled over by the layers of complexity to his system.

I can’t stand loud noises because they compete with my brain when it’s trying to think.

I can’t stand high temperatures because it makes my brain melt.

I ceased to experience any kind of enthusiasm for my history degree after about a year and a half of starting it. I still wish I’d done something in Computer Sciences.

I frequently wave at security cameras.

I secretly quite enjoy my job. When I don’t enjoy it, I secretly enjoy hating it.

I keep a list of all the stupid things that people write down on the insurance applications that I have to process at work.

Telephones still terrify me, despite having worked in a call centre for 3 months.

Whenever someone is upset, angry or stressed, my first reaction is that it’s my fault.

I have a full blown addiction to starting new things. I always find myself starting new games, books, articles and projects, rarely seeing them through to the end.

I’ve had my watch since I was 8 and I only ever really take it off to sleep.

I’ve had my computer since I was about 10, but I concede it probably isn’t quite the same computer anymore, seeing as the motherboard, the processor, the CD Drive, the hard drive, the keyboard, the monitor and even the case have now been replaced. It is however still the same mouse and I think there’s still the original 56K modem in the back too.

I’ve always wanted to make animated cartoons.

I’m very patient with other people but never with myself. This makes it very risky whenever I want to cook and I’m on my own.

I’ve never wanted to learn how to play the drums, but I’ve always wanted to be instinctively good at it.

I frequently panic and think I’ve got somebody’s name wrong, even if I’ve known them for a really long time.

I started playing computer games at the age of 3, starting on the original Donkey Kong on the Dragon 32.

I nearly applied to do a masters degree in criminal psychology after I finished my degree.

I consider sleep to be a massive waste of time and I really wish I didn’t have to do it.


Additional Notes:

Weirdly enough, whenever I read these things answered by other people, they often also start by saying “I don’t normally do these things, but….”.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

which is why you leading us to abbey road was a mistake! :-P

Ding said...

It was just a bit more of a round trip that's all. Not only did we see Abbey Road, but we also saw many of the roads surrounding it. Who knows, maybe we even followed in the footsteps of the Beatles themselves when they couldn't find the place for the first time.